Getting Pho-ed Up!


With the long cold days here in Utah I find myself craving soup on the reg. One of my all time favorite soups is Phở. What the heck is Pho you ask?! Pho is a super tasty soup that originated in Hanoi, Vietnam. There are many variations of Pho and each Asian region has it’s own interpretation of it. Most restaurants serve Saigon Pho. 
Pho can be made with beef, chicken, other meats or just vegetarian. This is the recipe I use for Beef Pho:


Ingredients:
Serves 6-8 bowls
(All ingredients available at your local Asian Market)

5 quarts water
1/2 onion
1 package Pho Herbal Mix
1 cube of Pho Spice Cube
1 cup oyster sauce
1/3 cup fish sauce
2 teaspoon salt
Rice Noodles
Thinly Sliced Beef (Flank, or Tenderloin)


Garnishes:
Bean sprouts
Mint
Lime
Jalapenos
Green Onions
Hoisin sauce
Sriracha
 

Now before you say anything, I realize that most traditional Pho recipes simmer beef bones to get that strong beefy flavor. However, after I did some research and talked to the nice folks at my local Asian market I learned that you don't have to use beef bones and instead you can take the easy way out and just use Pho Spice Cubes.  


This recipe is super easy to make, so go ahead and give it a try and let me know what you think!

Comments